Friday, May 21, 2010

Honeytarts

Sounds like an affectionate form of address, but no.

I have a raging adoration for the scent of honey (and the taste, when the sweetness is muted), so when I came across a recipe billing itself 'honey tarts', I went rifling through the freezer in search of tart shells.

These are identical in texture to buttertarts (they're both custards on amphetamines, after all), with a delicate honey flavour. They do not, however, contain any butter or anything of the sort. What follows is a recipe that filled 8 standard-size tart shells; double it for a more reasonable-sized batch. The original recipe included a tiny bit of salt, but I didn't bother.

1 egg
1/8 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey
A splash of vanilla

Mix the above together in a bowl before adding...

1/3 cup broken pecans

...and mixing them in. Spoon into tart shells and bake at 375F for 14-16 minutes. If the filling acts liquidy when the tart is wiggled, it's not done yet.

Something tells me they'd do just as well with sliced almonds in place of the pecans.


And on an unrelated note, here's a necklace I made as a late birthday present for the lovely Ravenskar.

No comments:

Post a Comment