Sunday, March 22, 2009

I have a trio of Terry Brooks novels sitting on my dresser. They shoot me hopeful looks on occasion.

They are (thankfully) not mine, but were loaned to me quite some time ago by my ex, who loved them and thought that I would as well. I am uncertain where he came by this idea, and hope that he has since found a new supplier.

I made it through Jarka Ruus a while back--or rather, I think I did. I honestly can't remember if I bothered to finish the book, or how it ended. Only three things remain in my mind: A very predictable and clichéd death, a single good mental image, and one of the most laughable romantic subplots that I have ever read.

I have a dream that someday, more fantasy writers will realize that A) romance is not a strictly necessary addition, and B) that it takes a lot more than just putting two cardboard cutouts characters next to each other and adding tru wuv sparkle effects. I'm looking at you too, McKiernan. And for the love of my stomach, could we please stop with all the predestined love bullshit?

The evolution of relationships--romantic or otherwise--is where so many fantasy writers seem to fall flat on their faces. Either it doesn't happen, or it happens all at once. Salvatore is by no means the best fantasy writer I've ever read, but what kept me coming back and gobbling up his novels was the fact that he writes a dizzying number of memorable characters and lets them evolve and interact in ways that hold my attention. It's just entertaining stuff to read.

It's not that I dislike romantic subplots in fantasy. They're just one of those things that I'd rather see done well or not at all. The lead-ups deserve to be woven into the story, not summed up into what may as well be footnotes.

And over the course of the tale, Chala's patience with the author waned until she gave in and tossed the sodding book across the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment