Friday, October 30, 2009

And the season takes hold, part the fourth

For the record, Weldbond (or perhaps lesser varieties of white glue) mixed with cornstarch makes a better air-dry clay than... well, air-dry clay. At least for my purposes.

What I ended up with was a pliable, faintly sticky putty with a pretty short working time, but long enough for me to mold it onto long press-on nails and work in a scallop pattern, one at a time. It held its shape perfectly, adhered to the nails all by itself, shrank a teeny bit, and dried to a rock-hard and very smooth plasticky finish. It also weighs less than clay and I suspect it will be far less fragile. I made little horns out of some of the leftovers.

Also, it made me pancakes this morning.*

Now, I just have to see how well it takes a coat of acrylic paint.


*This may or may not be a lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment